Why Fendalton Eye Clinic are leaders in corrective laser eye surgery:
- January 2015 Dr Kent commissioned the latest excimer laser in New Zealand. The Schwind Amaris 1050RS. Providing many technological advancements.
- Since 1996 we have invested more in laser eye correction technology and installed more refractive lasers than any other clinic in the South Island.
- Fendalton Eye Clinic has a purposely-built high quality operating laser theatre facility with proper medical standard HEPA filtration, positive pressure, cold water cooled medical operating theatre quality air conditioning.
- In 2017 the Zeiss VisuMax® femtosecond laser was installed.
Experience & Expertise in laser eye surgery
- Fendalton Eye Clinic in Christchurch, New Zealand was established in 1996 by Dr David Kent an opthalmologist and Jane Patterson an optometrist. Dr Kent has performed more LASIK surgery than any other New Zealand eye surgeon. He has been involved in excimer laser surgery since working in the USA in 1994 - longer than any other South Island eye surgeon.
- Dr Kent is a leader in corrective laser vision eye surgery. He was the first South Island eye surgeon to perform all of the currently practiced laser eye surgery techniques including PRK, microkeratome LASIK, customised treatments and femtosecond all-laser High Definition LASIK.
- Dr Kent was the first laser eye surgeon in the South Island to begin personalised (wavefront-guided) laser treatments in 2002.
- All clinical assistant staff at Fendalton Eye Clinic have tertiary qualifications in eye care. A caring, dedicated, commented team of eye care professionals.
Leading laser eye surgery technology
High Definition LASIK® for precision safety and accuracy with the Zeiss VisuMax® femtosecond laser and the Schwind Amaris 1050RS excimer laser
- All our treatments are individually personalised or customised treatments utilising the advanced technology of the Schwind Amaris 1050RS excimer laser
- We have the only laser system in the South Island that has a seven dimensional eye tracker for both alignment of the axis and full registration of the customised treatment. Preoperatively a digital image of your eye is created from the unique pattern of your eye. When you return for treatment, the laser recognises your eye, aligning your specific treatment in the correct orientation to enable the laser treatment to be delivered with pin point accuracy. This is important because all measurements of your eye are taken with you sitting but the treatment is done with you lying down under the laser. It is possible for your head to be not straight or your eye to rotate. Only advanced eye recognition technology can perfectly align the treatment.
- With the advanced technology that Fendalton Eye Clinic have invested in, Dr Kent is able to treat complex corrections, including high astigmatism. For those with extreme short sightedness, implantable contact lens surgery may be an option.
- Combining HD LASIK with the KAMRA corneal inlay Dr Kent is able to offer solutions for reduced spectacle dependency for those over 50 years of age who have lost the ability to adjust their focus for reading, texting & computer work.
- Fendalton Eye Clinic has a purposely-built high quality operating laser theatre facility with proper medical standard HEPA filtration, positive pressure, cold water cooled medical operating theatre quality air conditioning
- Dr Kent offers the safety and accuracy of the Zeiss VisuMax® femtosecond laser creating a "blade-free" LASIK flap combined with the precision of excimer laser correction - High Definition LASIK. NASA will only approve this type of methodology for their fighter pilots and astronauts.
- We provide six months follow-up within NZ.